Fine Art, Literature, Music, Film
He was depicted by painters and sculptors such as Miha Maleš, Hinko Smrekar, Maksim Gaspari, Božidar Jakac, Franjo Sterle, Nikolaj Pirnat, Viktor Šest, Dušan Strle, Damijan Stepančič, Ciril Horjak, Anton Sigulin, Vlasta Tihec Zorko, Jakov Brdar, Metka Zupanič, Irena Brunec Tebi, Boštjan Putrih and others – Maister’s legacy – NMS, MNOM, NMS.
He has been portrayed in literature: in novels by Jože Hudales, in children’s books by Tone Partljič and Alenka Juvan and in a play by Saša Vuga. His life and work have been researched by historians and academics such as Lojze Penič, Bruno Hartman, Janez Švajncer, Mihael Glavan, Igor Grdina, Alenka Puhar and Milček Komelj for the monograph published in Mladinska knjiga’s Album series in 2018.
Many of Maister’s poems are set to music, the most famous being the cycle Slovenske gorice, for which Emil Adamič wrote the score. Among the older musicians who were inspired by Maister’s verses are Fran Gerbič, Matija Tomc, Gojmir Krek, Josip Prochazka, Ciril Vremšak, Vasilij Mirk and Radovan Gobec. Among the younger generation Jani Golob and Andrej Misson. Among an even younger generation are Simon Skalar and Jure Ivanušič, who transformed Maister’s poems into chansons, while Jakob Jež set to music the ‘Ode to General Maister’ by the poet Janez Menart – Maister’s Heritage – UKM.
Videos and short films about Maister, his work and comrades were made on various occasions and also as part of temporary exhibitions in numerous institutions:
- The ARS keep a several minutes long film by an unknown filmmaker, which shows General Maister at the Maribor train station, speaking at the event of the return of the posthumous remains of the Croatian conspirators Nikola Zrinski and Krsto Frankopan on 27 april 1919;
- in 2013, the RTV Slovenija produced the documentary portrait Rudolf Maister Vojanov and the City along the Drava by screenwriter and director Bogdan Mrovlje;
- in 2015, an eponymous short film by Andreja Humar Gruden was included as part of the MMK’s temporary exhibition The Man of Word and Spirit, (povezava Youtube kanal:);
- in 2020, at the opening of the temporary exhibition There at Klagenfurt on the centenary of the Carinthian plebiscite in 1920, Izidor Cankar’s one-act play Plebiscite was performed and recorded at the MMK (link to the Youtube kanalu);
- On the centenary of the Carinthian plebiscite, the RTV Slovenia broadcast the film One Hundred Years Since the Carinthian Plebiscite by screenwriter and director Valentin Pečenko;
- the short film On the Cusp: Southeastern Carinthia 1918–1920 by Marjan Linasi, about the events and dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the Carinthian plebiscite was produced by the Carinthian Regional Museum;
- In 2018, the University of Maribor Library prepared the musical literary performance The Lesser Known Maister: Poet and Bibliophile, the authors of the project and exhibitions were Dr Karmen Salmič Kovačič and Dr Vlasta Stavbar;
- as part of the musical literary performance The Lesser Known Maister: Poet and Bibliophile, an audiovisual recording of six chansons by Jure Ivanušič with lyrics by Rudolf Maister and six compositions performed by the Škrjanček Chamber Choir and the Arion octet was created.