Public monuments and memorial plaques
The first memorial plaques commemorating Maister were installed before WWII – Kamnik, but the first public monument came relatively late. The reason was mainly the longtime negative attitude of the powers that be towards Maister. It was erected in 1970 in his native Kamnik. The second one, in Maribor, more than one and a half decade later (if we do not count the monument to the fighters for the northern border); then the pace picked up. This is evidenced by numerous monuments to Maister and memorial plaques throughout Slovenia.
Maribor, Mestni park, monument to the fighters for the northern border, 1958, Drago Tršar; photo: Vladimir Ristić.
Pedestal of the monument to Maister's fallen fighters in Dravograd in front of the church of St. Vitus, 1927; kept by the family of Ludvik Pušnik.
Memorial plaque as part of the monument to Maister's fighters and the fighters of the National Liberation Struggle in front of the Dravograd town hall, circa 1960; kept by the family of Ludvik Pušnik.
Unveiling of the memorial plaque at Rudolf Maister’s birth house in Kamnik, 1938; photo: Peter Naglič, kept by Matjaž Šporar.